The conversion and refurbishment of the derelict Royal Oak Garage into 10 family houses and a commercial unit facing the street.
The development is located at the east end of Nailsea High Street adjacent to the Grade II listed Royal Oak Public house. The area once formed part of a large glass manufacturing complex, established in 1788 and a scheduled ancient monument. Now partially built over what remains survive, as underground archaeology, low level ruins and the Royal Oak Garage.
Key to the project is the retention of the existing stone walls from the glassworks, and the removal of the later steel angle truss and asbestos cement roof. The overall form, roof pitch and height has been maintained in the redevelopment of the building.