The Guild Heritage was designed by Sir Frank Wills and built in 1913 to house ‘The Guild of the Poor Brave Things,’ as a building specifically tailored to the needs of disabled people. It fulfilled this role for many decades before being altered and converted into offices by Bristol City Council in the 1980s. Most recently it was used as the Bristol offices of a national charity.
Our proposals convert the building into 20 apartments – all within the fabric of the original building. The existing external fabric of the building has been restored, but otherwise unaltered with the exception of the removal of the later additions to the entrance. The scheme also opens up the internal lightwells to reinstate the original courtyards. These provide natural light and ventilation to the new apartments.
The majority of the apartments are one bedroom and studios, with a couple of two bedroom units. The central hall has been infilled with a three storey timber framed structure. The top apartments enjoy the pitched roof form and exposed beams internally, and are lit by rooflights along the two roof slopes.