Bridge House was built in 1865 as the luxurious Clifton Downs Hotel. By the end of the twentieth century it had lost most of its top mansard storey and the majority of its internal features.
Our proposals converted the building to 18 luxury apartments, with English Heritage welcoming the proposals as “a highly visible and commendable enhancement of the architectural qualities”. A key part of these proposals involved the reinstatement of the mansard roof, cornice, dormers and chimneys. Three penthouse apartments have also been accommodated within a contemporary extension to the rear of the reinstated mansard storey.
The project was awarded a Bristol Civic Society Environmental Award in 2008.